Recent Storm Damage Posts
Stay Safe during a Flood
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can help with storm and flood damage.
Springtime in the Midwest can bring severe rain showers which can lead to flooding in our area. According to Ready.gov floods are the most common natural disaster in the United States. Here are a few things to know about floods:
- Result from heavy rain, storm surges and overflows of dams and other water systems.
- Develop slowly or quickly. Flash floods can come with no warning.
- Cause outages, disrupt transportation, damage buildings and create landslides.
If you are under a flood warning, find safe shelter right away
- Do not walk, swim or drive through flood waters. Turn Around, Don’t Drown!
- Just six inches of moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
- Stay off of bridges over fast-moving water.
- Depending on the type of flooding:
- Evacuate if told to do so.
- Move to higher ground or a higher floor.
- Stay where you are.
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions. We are available 24 hours a day – Call us today at (630) 384-1040.
Severe Weather - Safety tips for a Portable Generator
Keep your home running through the storm with the help of a portable generator.
Are you getting ready for the spring storms to arrive in the Wheaton & Glen Ellyn area? Power outages are a common occurrence during a severe storm and a portable generator is a great tool to help you through the power outage.
If you have a portable generator on hand for power outages during severe weather, follow the safety tips below provided by the American Red Cross.
- Never use a generator, grill, camp stove, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawl space, or any partially enclosed area.
- To avoid electrocution, keep the generator dry and do not use it in wet conditions. Operate it on a dry surface under an open canopy-like structure, such as under a tarp held up on poles. Do not touch the generator with wet hands.
- Be sure to turn the generator off and let it cool down before refueling. Gasoline spilled on hot engine parts could ignite.
If you experience storm or water damage caused by a power outage in your home, please give SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle a call at (630) 384-1040.
Source: Residential Newsline Volume 18 issue 2
Be Prepared for a Flood
Be prepared for a flood or storm before it arrives.
Flooding can happen fast in many environments. It is important to be prepared for a disaster to strike.
Without the proper preparation, families and communities can be completely devastated. Even though local officials and relief workers will be on a scene after disaster, they may not be able to reach everyone immediately which makes it important to be prepared.
The American Red Cross recommends having the following list of items packed and ready to go in the event of an evacuation due to flooding.
- Water – 3 day supply for each person
- 3 day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra Batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Multi-purpose tool
- Personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents
- Cell Phone with chargers
- Rain gear
- Insect repellent and sunscreen
- Extra Cash
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions. We are available 24 hours a day to help. You can reach us at (630) 384-1040.
Storm Damage - SERVPRO can Help
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can help with all kinds of Storm Damage.
If you live in the Midwest, chances are you know just how quick the weather can change and storms can occur on a moment’s notice.
Whatever type of weather event happens in Chicagoland, you can count on SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle to be able to respond quickly. Our team has several years of experience responding to weather events across the area, region, and even throughout the United States.
In recent years our SERVPRO has responded to storms involving hurricanes, sub-zero temperatures, tornadoes, flooding, and all types of weather events. Given our experience with these types of events, our team has the knowledge and skills to respond quickly and professionally to assist homes and businesses during stressful moments. When a big storm happens, you want to rely on the experienced professionals at SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us today (630) 384-1040
Thunderstorm Preparation in Wheaton
Thunderstorms can happen at any time. Be Ready!
As the cold weather descends on our area, remember that thunder and lightning are also a part of the wintry mix that we face. Here are some facts from Ready.gov that you need to be aware of if a thunderstorm is headed your way.
Thunderstorms are dangerous storms that include lightning and can:
- Include powerful winds over 50 MPH
- Create hail
- Cause floods
- Cause tornadoes
It is important to prepare for a Thunderstorm
- When thunder roars, go indoors!
- Move from outdoors into a building or car.
- Pay attention to alerts and warnings.
- Unplug appliances.
Thunderstorms occur with little warning and can be especially devastating, so you’ll need the company that you can trust to rise to the occasion. Regardless of the type of storm, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can handle any size disaster. Call us today at (630) 384-1040.
Winter Storms - Be Prepared!
Be prepared for winter storms.
Winter is fast approaching the Chicagoland area and it is very important to be ready before the snow flies. Here are some tips from the American Red Cross that will keep you safe during the winter weather.
- Talk with your family about what to do if a winter storm watch or warning is issued.
- Have your vehicle winterized before the winter storm season to decrease your chance of being stranded in cold weather.
- Have a mechanic check your battery, antifreeze, wipers and windshield fluid, ignition system, thermostat, lights, flashing hazard lights, exhaust system, heater, brakes, defroster and oil.
- Keep in your vehicle: a windshield scraper, small broom, matches in a waterproof container, an emergency supply kit, including warm clothing.
- Keep your gas tank full so you can leave right away in an emergency.
- Have a cell phone with you and make sure the battery is charged.
- Pack a warm coat, gloves and a hat.
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle wants you to arrive safely at your final destination.
Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/Lisle: Do you have Emergency Supplies Ready in case of a Storm?
SERVPRO of Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/ Lisle clean up after storm damage. Call 630-384-1040 for help!
Emergency Supply Checklist from FEMA
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
- Local maps
- Prescription medications and glasses
- Infant formula and diapers
- Pet food and extra water for your pet
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container
- Cash or traveler’s checks and change
- Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or information from ready.gov
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider additional bedding you live in a cold-weather climate.
- Complete change of clothing including a long-sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.
- Fire Extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
- Paper and pencil
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
Storm Safety for Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/ Lisle: Lightning Facts & Tips
“When thunder roars, go indoors.”
SERVPRO of Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/Lisle can help board up your home or business, clean contents and the structure after smoke, soot, and fire from lightning strikes. The odds of being struck by lightning is 1 in 500,000 and is the leading cause of weather-related fatalities. Here are some tips and facts about lightning from the CDC:
- Check the forecast before planning outdoor activities. If the weather is calling for outdoor thunderstorms, postpone your trip or activity, or make sure there is adequate shelter available.
- Avoid windows, doors, porches, and concrete.
- Do not lie on concrete floors and avoid leaning against concrete walls. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
- Avoid water by not bathing, showering, washing dishes, or any other contact with water during a thunderstorm because lightning can travel through a building’s plumbing.
- Avoid electronic equipment that is connected to an electrical outlet. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls.
- Make sure to equip homes and businesses with surge protectors to protect appliances and other electronic devices.
- “When thunder roars, go indoors.” Go indoors or find a safe enclosed shelter when you hear thunder. Some ideas of safe shelters are offices, homes, shopping centers, hard-top vehicles (with the windows rolled up).
- If you are outdoors and there is not shelter, do not lie down, crotch close to the ground touching the ground as little as possible. If you are in a group, make sure to separate.
Call us for help at 630-384-1040 anytime as we are open 24/7/ 365 days a year after fire damage, lightning strikes, or trees that fall on your home or business.
Floods, Disasters, and Storm Damage. SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle Helps
When storms, natural disasters or other weather events take place, SERVPRO of Wheaton Glen Ellyn / Lisle responds.
When those events take place that you see on the evening news, such as flooding and large natural disasters, it may be surprising to know that your local SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle is most likely responding to help. Our franchise is among a select group of SERVPRO franchises who are designated as Large Loss and who travel to respond to large catastrophic events.
A Local Restoration Company with a National Reach
Having a local restoration company with experience responding to large natural disasters is a benefit. The experience and knowledge gained from responding to such events is quickly evidenced when we respond locally. The team that will respond has been in some of the most stressful and chaotic situations, so they know how to remain calm under pressure, but they also understand how you must be feeling during a stressful time.
Serving up Some Help from Water Damage at a Tennis Facility
Water Damage can happen anywhere, even a tennis court. SERVPRO can help
Water Damage can happen anywhere. Sometimes it can be a house, business, or a commercial facility that experiences a flood or damage from a storm with heavy rains. Storm damage can happen anywhere, including at a tennis facility, as seen in the photo. After a heavy storm blew through the area, many businesses experienced property and water damage, including a tennis and sport facility.
Water Can Damage Property in Many Ways
Aside from removing water and providing remediation to the buildings at this tennis center, SERVPRO was also asked to remove the excess water from the courts. It may seem somewhat frivolous to spend time pushing water off the courts, but when excess amounts of water sit on a tennis court, the pressure form the water can cause buckling and damage to the surface. Our crews worked together to remove as much of the excess water as possible from the courts in the hopes of limiting or preventing damage. And we did save the courts. Game. Set. Match.
Flooding from a Storm: SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can Repair the Damage
Flooding from Storm Damage can be repaired by SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle
Summer rain quickly turned into a storm. Before long, a golf course was flooded and water rushed into the clubhouse. Water stood two feet high throughout the lower level, which houses employee dormitories, a member lounge, elevator shafts, and the country club wine cellar. Help was needed.
After the storm, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle was called and went to work. The water was pumped out and unsalvageable items were removed. Mitigation teams cut the wet drywall and began drying the facility. After the property was dried, the rebuild began, with construction teams restoring the property to its original state. New drywall, flooring, and trim was installed. Soon enough, the club was back to normal and the course resumed operations.
If your home or business experiences storm damage that results in flooding, water damage, or other property damage, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can help.
Damage from heavy rain or high winds: SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle will respond to all storm damage
If a storm has caused damage, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can respond with one truck or the 53’ disaster trailer.
Property Damage from a Storm
Some storms can deliver more than thunder and lightning. Summertime storms can bring powerful winds, heavy rains and severe damage to property. If your property is damaged from a storm, SERVPRO can help. As 24-hour emergency restoration company that lives in the same area as you, we know when these storms happen and are prepared to respond.
Storm Damage at your Home or Business
Summer storms usually involve water damage, water in the basement, or rain entering a building through a damaged roof or window. Aside from making sure everyone is safe (including pets), the next step is to stop any further damage from happening. SERVPRO will provide temporary closures to any open areas before beginning remediation and restoration. What does that mean? We will remove any standing water and/or debris and start drying the property. If there was damage to a roof, walls, windows or other parts of a structure, we can repair all damaged areas, from roofs to windows and carpet.
Commercial to Residential Restoration After a Storm
As part of the national Disaster Recovery Team, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle is fully prepared to respond in force to any size disaster, bringing all the people and equipment necessary, including our disaster trailer. If the damage affected a portion of a living room, we will respond there as well.
If you have a water problem or wind has damaged your home or office, call SERVPRO.
When Storms or Floods hit DuPage County, SERVPRO is ready!
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage and have recently assisted Disaster Recovery Teams with Hurricane Harvey.
SERVPRO of Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/Lisle specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit DuPage County, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 630-384-1040