Recent Storm Damage Posts
Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/Lisle: Do you have Emergency Supplies Ready in case of a Storm?
SERVPRO of Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/ Lisle clean up after storm damage. Call 630-384-1040 for help!
Emergency Supply Checklist from FEMA
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
- Local maps
- Prescription medications and glasses
- Infant formula and diapers
- Pet food and extra water for your pet
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container
- Cash or traveler’s checks and change
- Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or information from ready.gov
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider additional bedding you live in a cold-weather climate.
- Complete change of clothing including a long-sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.
- Fire Extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
- Paper and pencil
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
Storm Safety for Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/ Lisle: Lightning Facts & Tips
“When thunder roars, go indoors.”
SERVPRO of Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/Lisle can help board up your home or business, clean contents and the structure after smoke, soot, and fire from lightning strikes. The odds of being struck by lightning is 1 in 500,000 and is the leading cause of weather-related fatalities. Here are some tips and facts about lightning from the CDC:
- Check the forecast before planning outdoor activities. If the weather is calling for outdoor thunderstorms, postpone your trip or activity, or make sure there is adequate shelter available.
- Avoid windows, doors, porches, and concrete.
- Do not lie on concrete floors and avoid leaning against concrete walls. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
- Avoid water by not bathing, showering, washing dishes, or any other contact with water during a thunderstorm because lightning can travel through a building’s plumbing.
- Avoid electronic equipment that is connected to an electrical outlet. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls.
- Make sure to equip homes and businesses with surge protectors to protect appliances and other electronic devices.
- “When thunder roars, go indoors.” Go indoors or find a safe enclosed shelter when you hear thunder. Some ideas of safe shelters are offices, homes, shopping centers, hard-top vehicles (with the windows rolled up).
- If you are outdoors and there is not shelter, do not lie down, crotch close to the ground touching the ground as little as possible. If you are in a group, make sure to separate.
Call us for help at 630-384-1040 anytime as we are open 24/7/ 365 days a year after fire damage, lightning strikes, or trees that fall on your home or business.
Floods, Disasters, and Storm Damage. SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle Helps
When storms, natural disasters or other weather events take place, SERVPRO of Wheaton Glen Ellyn / Lisle responds.
When those events take place that you see on the evening news, such as flooding and large natural disasters, it may be surprising to know that your local SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle is most likely responding to help. Our franchise is among a select group of SERVPRO franchises who are designated as Large Loss and who travel to respond to large catastrophic events.
A Local Restoration Company with a National Reach
Having a local restoration company with experience responding to large natural disasters is a benefit. The experience and knowledge gained from responding to such events is quickly evidenced when we respond locally. The team that will respond has been in some of the most stressful and chaotic situations, so they know how to remain calm under pressure, but they also understand how you must be feeling during a stressful time.
Serving up Some Help from Water Damage at a Tennis Facility
Water Damage can happen anywhere, even a tennis court. SERVPRO can help
Water Damage can happen anywhere. Sometimes it can be a house, business, or a commercial facility that experiences a flood or damage from a storm with heavy rains. Storm damage can happen anywhere, including at a tennis facility, as seen in the photo. After a heavy storm blew through the area, many businesses experienced property and water damage, including a tennis and sport facility.
Water Can Damage Property in Many Ways
Aside from removing water and providing remediation to the buildings at this tennis center, SERVPRO was also asked to remove the excess water from the courts. It may seem somewhat frivolous to spend time pushing water off the courts, but when excess amounts of water sit on a tennis court, the pressure form the water can cause buckling and damage to the surface. Our crews worked together to remove as much of the excess water as possible from the courts in the hopes of limiting or preventing damage. And we did save the courts. Game. Set. Match.
Flooding from a Storm: SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can Repair the Damage
Flooding from Storm Damage can be repaired by SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle
Summer rain quickly turned into a storm. Before long, a golf course was flooded and water rushed into the clubhouse. Water stood two feet high throughout the lower level, which houses employee dormitories, a member lounge, elevator shafts, and the country club wine cellar. Help was needed.
After the storm, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle was called and went to work. The water was pumped out and unsalvageable items were removed. Mitigation teams cut the wet drywall and began drying the facility. After the property was dried, the rebuild began, with construction teams restoring the property to its original state. New drywall, flooring, and trim was installed. Soon enough, the club was back to normal and the course resumed operations.
If your home or business experiences storm damage that results in flooding, water damage, or other property damage, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can help.
Damage from heavy rain or high winds: SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle will respond to all storm damage
If a storm has caused damage, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle can respond with one truck or the 53’ disaster trailer.
Property Damage from a Storm
Some storms can deliver more than thunder and lightning. Summertime storms can bring powerful winds, heavy rains and severe damage to property. If your property is damaged from a storm, SERVPRO can help. As 24-hour emergency restoration company that lives in the same area as you, we know when these storms happen and are prepared to respond.
Storm Damage at your Home or Business
Summer storms usually involve water damage, water in the basement, or rain entering a building through a damaged roof or window. Aside from making sure everyone is safe (including pets), the next step is to stop any further damage from happening. SERVPRO will provide temporary closures to any open areas before beginning remediation and restoration. What does that mean? We will remove any standing water and/or debris and start drying the property. If there was damage to a roof, walls, windows or other parts of a structure, we can repair all damaged areas, from roofs to windows and carpet.
Commercial to Residential Restoration After a Storm
As part of the national Disaster Recovery Team, SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle is fully prepared to respond in force to any size disaster, bringing all the people and equipment necessary, including our disaster trailer. If the damage affected a portion of a living room, we will respond there as well.
If you have a water problem or wind has damaged your home or office, call SERVPRO.
When Storms or Floods hit DuPage County, SERVPRO is ready!
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage and have recently assisted Disaster Recovery Teams with Hurricane Harvey.
SERVPRO of Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/Lisle specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit DuPage County, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 630-384-1040