Electrical Safety Reminders
Think about how often we use electricity during a normal day. We may start our day by turning off an alarm clock and then heading to the kitchen to plug in the coffee maker. That is just the beginning of all the things around the house that we use on a daily basis. Electricity makes our lives easier however, we need to keep safety in mind. Here are a few safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA):
- Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician.
- When you are buying or remodeling a home, have it inspected by a qualified private inspector or in accordance with local requirements.
- Only use one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) plugged into a receptacle outlet at a time.
- Major appliances (refrigerators, dryers, washers, stoves, air conditioners, microwave ovens, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Extension cords and plug strips should not be used.
- Use ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to reduce the risk of shock. GFCIs shut off an electrical circuit when it becomes a shock hazard. They should be installed inside the home in bathrooms, kitchens, garages and basements. All outdoor receptacles should be GFCI protected.
SERVPRO of Wheaton / Glen Ellyn / Lisle has highly trained technicians that are available 24 hours a day. Call us at 630-384-1040. We’ll clean and restore your fire damage, “Like it never even happened.”