Storm Safety for Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/ Lisle: Lightning Facts & Tips
SERVPRO of Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/Lisle can help board up your home or business, clean contents and the structure after smoke, soot, and fire from lightning strikes. The odds of being struck by lightning is 1 in 500,000 and is the leading cause of weather-related fatalities. Here are some tips and facts about lightning from the CDC:
- Check the forecast before planning outdoor activities. If the weather is calling for outdoor thunderstorms, postpone your trip or activity, or make sure there is adequate shelter available.
- Avoid windows, doors, porches, and concrete.
- Do not lie on concrete floors and avoid leaning against concrete walls. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
- Avoid water by not bathing, showering, washing dishes, or any other contact with water during a thunderstorm because lightning can travel through a building’s plumbing.
- Avoid electronic equipment that is connected to an electrical outlet. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls.
- Make sure to equip homes and businesses with surge protectors to protect appliances and other electronic devices.
- “When thunder roars, go indoors.” Go indoors or find a safe enclosed shelter when you hear thunder. Some ideas of safe shelters are offices, homes, shopping centers, hard-top vehicles (with the windows rolled up).
- If you are outdoors and there is not shelter, do not lie down, crotch close to the ground touching the ground as little as possible. If you are in a group, make sure to separate.
Call us for help at 630-384-1040 anytime as we are open 24/7/ 365 days a year after fire damage, lightning strikes, or trees that fall on your home or business.